Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum

Pastor Brad's Eighties Christian Metal and Shred Guitar Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Empty
PostSubject: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 pm

I mean I think I know it when I hear it... BIG guitars, choruses, great lead guitar work, attitude, fun, leads guitar work, melodic, bangin... and oh yeah--did I mention good lead guitar work??? ...but a lot of that could sort of apply to a lot of genres of rock and metal...

So, if you had to define "80s metal" in a couple lines.... how would you do it?

AND... of the following bands...which ones ARE or ARE NOT good examples of 80s metal...

Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Kiss
Judas Priest
Stryper
AC/DC
Metalica
Others?????

LET THE OPINIONS FLY!!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarjams.net
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 am

First of all, 80's metal was melodic. There weren't many progressive bands back then, and when people think of the term "80's Metal"; they're thinking of melodic metal.

Second, a hook. 80's Metal had hooks and bands today trying for that style all know that a hook is essential. The bands where a lead singer sang a chorus solo, with no BGV's, were few and far between. Meanwhile, bands with BGV's, such as Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, and even Guns & Roses ruled the scene with great hooks.

Lastly, Brad, you're right on...the lead guitar solo and preferably, solo fills. When I consider a Christian example of 80's Metal - Whitecross - their music was full of solos from Rex, but also solo fills. The best example of this ever, Christian or secular, would be Dokken's Back For The Attack.

To me, its all about the music. I couldn't care less for the attitude, lifestyle, etc. That's all meaningless. 80's Metal is defined by being melodic, having hooks (the bigger the better) and lead guitar solos (the more the better).
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 1:37 am

Amen!!!! Well stated FOJ:!:
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

THE MORE GUITAR SOLOS/FILLS THE BETTER Exclamation
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 10:03 am

It is metal made in the 80's Twisted Evil

And IMO, all those bands you listed qualify, with the possible exception of AC/DC. I remember having a discussion with a friend back in the 80's on whether AC/DC was metal or hard rock.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Yeh, ya know, when I listed AC/DC I thought... hmmm, this one could go either way... I think they probably think of themselves a "rock band"... and that's probably right... but no metal fan would complain if they were on the bill with any other "metal" band! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 3:40 am

One other thing about 80's metal...FOR ME, it always included BIG DRUMS! You know, those way over-produced MONSTERS on albums like Whitecross' s/t, Shout's two 80's albums, Def Leppard's albums, etc.

I know a lot of people are turned off by those drums, but they also epitomize 80's metal for me.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Yep... BOOM! BOOM! BIG DRUMS... like, "I love it loud" (Kiss) ... cool stuff! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????   Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"??????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Okay--So what, exactly is "80s metal"???????
Page 1 of 1