Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum

Pastor Brad's Eighties Christian Metal and Shred Guitar Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?

Go down 
+2
Ascension
pastorbrad
6 posters

Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist
Eddie Van Halen
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap55%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 55% [ 6 ]
Yngwie Malmsteen
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap18%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Steve Via
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap0%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Joe Satriani
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap0%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Angus Young
 0% [ 0 ]
Randy Rhoads
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap9%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Uli Roth (70s & 80s)
 0% [ 0 ]
Brian May (70s & 80s)
 0% [ 0 ]
Michael Angelo
 0% [ 0 ]
OTHER
Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_lcap18%Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Empty
PostSubject: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 12:35 am

I know---this is almost impossible... but try... who, in your humble opinion Embarassed , the most groundbreaking 80s metal guitarist?
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarjams.net
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 pm

Hard choice but I went with Eddy. Everything seemed to change after they appeared on the scene. I still remember seeing the first VH tour where they were the opening act for Sabbath at Boutwell here in Birmingham in 1978. Van Hallen absolutely just blew Sabbath away and I will never forget the sheer energy of that show. Eddie just came out on fire and that kind of playing stood the whole guitar world on its EAR!!
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 12:36 am

Yep... Eddie did stuff with 22 frets, 6 strings and a Floyd Rose that had not been done to that point... for sure!
Back to top Go down
radioross

radioross

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 6:43 am

I'm gonna have to go with one of my all-time favorite bands and say Rik Emmett from Triumph. They didn't seem to have the mainstream attention that a lot of bands did back then but I sure loved their sound! I saw them on their "Allied Forces" and "Never Surrender" tours and they were great! If I remember right, I think that Rik also played a double-necked electric on a couple songs.

Anybody remember this song?

"I don't ask for much,
the truth'll do just fine.
Won't you, lay it... on... the line."
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 10:02 am

Quote :

"I don't ask for much,
the truth'll do just fine.
Won't you, lay it... on... the line."

I remember it. Very Happy

Voted for Eddie, BTW
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:41 am

LOVED Triumph... saw them on the A.F., Never Surrender and Thunder 7 tours... one of the best bands I ever saw live---especially the Thunder 7 show... Rik was awesome and very innovative... great player---he's still putting out great music--if you do a google search on him you'll find him!
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 3:35 am

I had to say "Other". My vote would go to GEORGE LYNCH. His work in Dokken blows me away, especially the Back For The Attack album. It is a clinic in solo fills.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:37 am

Quote :
My vote would go to GEORGE LYNCH.

Good choice!

Interesting as welkl, because both Lynch and EVH would admit to being non-technical players, in the sense of being very structured. Both were mostly self taught and know very little theory.
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
I had to say "Other". My vote would go to GEORGE LYNCH. His work in Dokken blows me away, especially the Back For The Attack album. It is a clinic in solo fills.
Lynch was a MAJOR influence on me as was Michael Shenker.
As good as both those guys are I still think EVH did more to change the face of rock guitar than both put together. Everything seemed to change after the first van Hallen album came out!!
Back to top Go down
guitarhoops

guitarhoops

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 9:31 am

That was a hard poll. I also went with EVH. He seem to have the biggest influence on guitar players back then. Joe Satriani made Guitar Rock popular in the late 80's. Steve Vai's crazy stuff really didn't get noticed until the early 90's but his work with David Lee Roth in the late 80's started him getting some recognition. George Lynch definitely had an impact on players and so did Randy Rhodes and Michael Schenker. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?   Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most Groundbreaking 80s Metal Guitarist?
Page 1 of 1