Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pastor Brad's 80's Christian Metal Forum

Pastor Brad's Eighties Christian Metal and Shred Guitar Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is 80s style metal making a comeback?

Go down 
+2
Ascension
pastorbrad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Empty
PostSubject: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 am

Is it just me---or am I hearing more lead guitar and ... just a bit more 80s style metal creeping back into the mainstream? Question Question Question

I wish I could give you some examples... but I'm SO not into the new bands -- I don't know any Laughing

80s metal Blessings,
pb
www.guitarjams.net
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarjams.net
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 11:25 am

Brad bro I HOPE so!! I can hardly listen to the newer stuff I hear. No guitar chops no melody ect. Those bands that do have chops are just abrasive in there tones and the cookie monster vocals just grate on me. The only bright spots as of late has been the new Dream Theater stuff and some of the more agressive prophetic worship stuff from guys like Rick Pino.
I miss hooks and MELODY!!!
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 7:01 pm

I don't listen to rock radio, so I have no idea what popular rock sounds like today. I get almost all of my music from the Internet, where I find groups like Mad Max and Letter 7 who are making very melodic, 80's style rock and roll.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 pm

Yep... the internet is great---you cna bypass whatever the radio/media deems "popular" and listen to what you like...

And yes--the COOKIE MONSTER vocals kill me too lol! That's actually a perfect way to describe them... that's hilareous!!! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! I love it!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 6:53 am

On the old Ultimatum newsletter, Scott described that vocal style as "Cookie Monster with a throat infection."

I thought that was perfect. Twisted Evil

Last edited by on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 9:22 am

That's great...

Love it!!!

80s metal blessings,
pb
www.guitarjams.net
Back to top Go down
Garyah

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-07-10

PostSubject: I will have to vote YES on this one   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 10:55 am

With bands like Saint, Stryper and Bloodgood coming back, here come the 80s. As someone said, today's metal miss the hooks and melody, and screaming has to go. But there ARE new bands like Rob Rock, Narnia, Theocracy, Seventh Avenue, and . . . uh . . . uh, oh, what's his name? Oh yea, now I remember . . . Pastor Brad! LOL! All these guys are putting out great melodic metal with great vocals!

I will, however, make one exception to the rule of a lot of new bands. The new album by "The Showdown" is a killer.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 am

Man--I really would love to see a resurgance of Arena-filling-BIG show, melodic, guitar hero metal come back... how incredibly cool that would be!
Back to top Go down
metalrabbi

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 am

To we old school metalheads 80s style metal never went away, in either case it began to make a come back during the late 90s. HammerFall on the Nuclear Blast label is credited with bringing the 80s metal sound back in 1997. They have been among my favorite secular metal artists. Even though they're secular some of their lyrics do point to the Lord if you read between the lines.
There are some other bands that have also started playing 80s metal among them are New Eden. ( I have their Obscure Master Plan CD, they sound a bit like Destiny's End btw, some members of New Eden are christians from what I know) ) In 1997 Judas Priest made a comeback too, soon after Metal Church did too. After alot of Power Metal bands have formed there's finally christian power metal and 80s style bands forming.

Now a word about the Death Metal sound: I don't know about any other metalheads in this site but I enjoy a very wide range of metal and that includes the death metal sound. I don't expect everyone metalhead to like every style of metal out there but there's no need to knock a style you don't like. I do admit that some of those death metal vocalists do sound like Cookie Monster (probably because they can't or don't know how to do the vocals deep enough) Some of those vocalists do those death vocals from the throat, some such as Wil Rahmer from Mortician produce those vocals from the diaphram which produces a far more intense sound and saves the throat. I'll end this here before I go on a rant.

I too don't like the newer metal sound

To Pastor Brad: I'm the same metalrabbi that has been emailing you. I wasn't sure whether to join this forum or not. So I put joining it aside, now must be the time.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 9:50 am

Welcome Metalrabi!!!!!!!

Glad you're here!!!!!!

Haven't heart Hammer Fall.. need take a listen sometime....

But I must say---I've heard lots of 80s style elements lately--tasty lead playing... melody... good stuff!!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is 80s style metal making a comeback?   Is 80s style metal making a comeback? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is 80s style metal making a comeback?
Page 1 of 1